PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge?

pcsews
11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
How much would you charge for putting a name on something...like a towel or blanket? I have charged $5.00 before but my husband says that I'm just wearing out my machine not making any money. What do you all think?

Deedles
11-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I charge a $5 setup fee, which covers the cost of the thread and stabilizer, then add 50 a letter with a $3 minimum. So an average 6 letter name would cost $8. You can adjust that if you take on a volume job. I haven't had any complaints.

Honeybee
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I charge around the same

clae
11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I usually charge $5.oo for one large letter initial, $8.00-$10.00 for a whole name or 3 letter initial. It also depends on what I am stitching it on to. Sometimes I get items that are just a pain in the you know what to hoop.
I do alot for my family and friends too so I may not charge them as much as I would someone I don't know....Hope this helps!

ShirleyC
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I think that sounds fair (what Deedles said). I have done a few names for people. It takes more time to set it up than it does to embroidery the name.

sew blessed
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
$5 is too cheap! I agree you need to make some profit. $5 for setup and 50 cents a letter sounds more than fair. Remember not everyone has an embroidery machine, the know how, the time, or the talant.

Crafty Connie
11-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I have a similar question: Is there a way to charge by stitch or something? How do you know how much to charge for a particular design? Charge by stitch? (I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I offically start up a legal business with tax ID number and everything.)

SewCrazy
11-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Mom has to post here I think she said that you charge per 1,000 stitches !
After the set up charge. Or you might want to call it "minimum charge".

Sew So Happy
11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I was reading somewhere that you can charge anywhere from $.50 to $1.00 per 1000 stitches.
You need to call around your area and see what they charge. It is very competitive around here. It seems like there is embroidery on every block!

SewCrazy
11-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I was reading somewhere that you can charge anywhere from $.50 to $1.00 per 1000 stitches.
You need to call around your area and see what they charge. It is very competitive around here. It seems like there is embroidery on every block!
Where is HERE just so we have an idea ?:confused:

crumbear
11-18-2007, 04:33 PM
I charge anywhere from $8-$15, depending on the item and number of letters. I always add $10 extra for those with a bad attitude, too. :p

marilynd
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I usually charge $6 per name or 3 initial monogram 3' and under.

sewamy
11-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I charge $10 to do a name. If they want a picture with it , it's another $10.

debi@thebeach
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
crumbear~ That is too funny! I hope you tell them they are being charged for their attitude so maybe they will change it for the persons they come in contact with!
Debi
<//><

Sew So Happy
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh sorry! I am in northwest Alabama near Florence.

StitchinGrandma
11-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Most of those doing this for their business charge $1.00 per 1,000 stitches and also $5 per hooping.

sewsigns
11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I've been told to charge 1.00 per 1,000 stitches. But 5 dollars to cover the set up sound just about right.

JenZ
11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Do you folks have your own businesses or just catch jobs as they come? I was just wondering because I just agreed to do some embroidery for a woman I know at work. I knew she is struggling to provide christmas for several peopleso I told her I would not charge to put names on robes for her son, daughter in law and three grandchildren. She had checked on "professional" prices and there was NO way she could afford it.
Don't worry, I only feel like half a sucker now.

StitchinGrandma
11-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Do you folks have your own businesses or just catch jobs as they come? I was just wondering because I just agreed to do some embroidery for a woman I know at work. I knew she is struggling to provide christmas for several peopleso I told her I would not charge to put names on robes for her son, daughter in law and three grandchildren. She had checked on "professional" prices and there was NO way she could afford it.
Don't worry, I only feel like half a sucker now.

I do not own my own business and frankly, I'm not sure that I want to right at this point in my life.

I know how you feel though. I have a girlfriend that wants to get her own machine and for the first year of her 1st grandson's birth she asked me to make things for him such as bibs and blankets etc. She is my best friend and I was still learning and was glad to do it. She and I would sit and go through my designs until she'd find something she liked or I'd find some that I thought she would like and made a jpeg and email those to her to choose from. Then once she'd picked one, I would add wording to that for baby's 1st whatever the holiday was and do all that work. I never did get any offer to pay me for any fabric or anything else. Some of those things were gifts to her daughter but others were a request for me to do this or that. I stopped doing that because I can't afford to continue giving things away ya know. Her husband just won't give the ok for her to buy her own machine because of the cost of the machine alone. He hasn't got a clue once she buys the machine that's when the "I need this or that" will begin. LOL

Yeffie
11-20-2007, 08:28 AM
If I use the small hoop, it is 6.50. If I need my larger hoop, is is between 8.50 and 10.00.

Those are my base prices, for 3 letter monograms. If it has 50 bajjillion color changes, or if it takes forever to stitch out, I might charge more.

elizabethv
11-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I charge $10 to do a name. If they want a picture with it , it's another $10.

Amy, where are you located? I'm trying to price my time fairly too.:)

mdquilter
11-20-2007, 01:35 PM
When I grow up (and get rich) I want a machine like your's John!

For now I have to be content with changing thread colors though LOL

clae
11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh sorry! I am in northwest Alabama near Florence.

I'm not far from you... I live in Haleyville, Alabama... I am in Florence all the time. I go to Ken's Sewing Center quite regular and I work for a company that's home branch is in the Sheffield/Muscle Shoals area.

Yeffie
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
these birds took about 3 hours to do and 12 colors i would not sell them for anything under a hundred bucks or so includes the shirt about 20 bucks :rolleyes:

I don't have a machine anywhere near that. My largest hoop is only 5x7 roughly.

And the people I monogram for, basically want the three letter monograms on towels, and no color changes. Or, a design on the front of a handbag, etc. I couldn't even take on a job that big, but if I could, I would be charging big money for it too!!

I used to work at the monogram shop here, and the shower curtains we did were in a hoop about that size. They charge 55.00 for them, adn there were no color changes, etc. Just alot of work to hoop properly, and straight.

sewingfor3
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow, those are some great birds! I want a big machine SOOOO BAD, but with 3 kids I must wait. I do have a question, I have the babylock ellure and some of my designs take an hour, if I had a machine like johns would it take less time and if so, is that because of the color changes?

thanks!

kurthco
11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I charge at least $5. If I start to charge too much people compare me to pottery barn or lands end which charge $5 to $10 depending on the item.

LizzieMaxine
11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I have some very good information on how to figure out what to charge for your embroidery but I can't put my hands on it right now.

It is a worksheet that shows you how to figure your income and expenses, how much you want to make annually, and how to come up with an hourly rate you want to make.

Example: You want to make $10,000 a year from your embroidery but can only devote 5 hours a week to the business. Your expenses are $2,000 a year. So, your profit is $8,000. Working 250 hours a year (taking 2 weeks vacation so it's 5 hours x 50 weeks) you need to make at least $32 per hour for every hour you are working.

Stitching a name on a shirt takes you 5 minutes to set it up on the computer, 5 minutes to hoop, unhoop, trim, press and 5 minutes of sewing time - $32.00 an hour divided by 60 minutes (an hour) is $.53 a minute. 15 minutes x $.53 a minute is $7.95.

I don't turn my machine on for less than $10 so I would set that as a minimum.

You have invested a lot of money in your equipment and supplies and a lot of time in learning how to embroider, don't give your work away.

As a friend of mine has said many times, "I'd rather be doing nothing than doing something for nothing." Value your work and charge accordingly.

mdquilter
11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
That is fantastic advice! I would love to see the spreadsheet if you can get your hands on it.

dramaw
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Pricing things I make has always been hard for me...Most people say $1 per 1000 stitches,,,but some of these designs have so many stitches that would be impossible to charge that much...I look around at craft shows and boutiques to get ideas of what to charge...also I have to consider the area where I live as to what a person would pay...I think my prices have been fair...and I have made money off them...I will never make enough to justify the price of the machines...LOL

peachy3
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, that of course depends on who is asking me to do it. For close friends I normally just charge $1 per letter. I figure that is just about breaking even and I don't really want to make money off my friends. I have had a few people that I barely know ask me for things, and the I charge $5 for setup and then $1 per thousand stitches for the letters or design. I don't normally hire myself out, I don't want this to become a business... then it would not be as much fun, but I do try to help people out when I can.

P3

huffjoann
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
$5 is too cheap,, the chain store here that monograms charges like $8 - $12 depending on the size of the monogram

twin mom
12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I only embroider things as a gift. I find that if I charge for it, then it becomes work, and I don't enjoy it. I also find that I feel I am grossly underpaid when I consider my time (when I could be doing things that I enjoy), my investment in machine, software, thread, stabilizers, etc.

Do what you love, and love what you do...

nanamcd
01-03-2008, 06:28 AM
I've used the $1 per 1000 stitches with a $5 minimum but have never added a set-up fee. I may reconsider that.

I have recently decided that I need to consider trimming/finishing/packaging time and materials, which I have pretty much ignored.

LizzieMaxine, I like your worksheet and will be taking a good look at revamping my charges for this year (especially in light of the fact that I was told by a friend/customer that I don't charge enough after delivering work to her before Christmas).

Alligator
01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I wondered this to. I like the $5 then 50 cent a letter. But I also charge if I provide the towel, dish towel etc.

cand
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Thank you all for helping me. This at least gives me an idea of where to start. I did some t-shirts with some lettering and a design. So, I way undercharged for my first project, but I am still learning. This is a great site and really good information. Thanks a lot.
Candy

glassmaker
03-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Impressions magazine online has a great artical about what to charge. It helps figure in your time, your space, your power, and how much you would like to make a year. I do craft shows in florida and I use their cost it seems a far price for what everyone here charges.

slg
03-26-2008, 06:17 AM
this is helpful. I guess i have been too cheap too.

The Hen
06-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't think you are charging enough. My customers think $8.00 is a bargain and that is for initials. Most places around here charge $10.00 for names. Of course, different areas are different about pricing. But don't give your work away. After all they are getting a quality, home design. One that they will not find in a store or her next door neighbor using. I think we often underprice our articles because it is a home based buisness. I find my customers love something homemade and original. They are always looking for something different

luckwisher
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Cool thanks for the advice :-)