Jone Hallmark
Simply Stitches
My Mind's Eye
DOWNLOAD CENTER
MESSAGE BOARD
GIFT CERTIFICATES
FREE DESIGNS
What to Expect When Making a Purchase

Welcome to the Embroidables message board.

You are currently viewing our website as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sewing and Embroidery (Questions and Answers) Have a question about a sewing or embroidery technique? This is the place to ask.

Old 03-04-2009
Embroidery Newbie

Default Best place to buy thread

I have purchased a handful of colors at Hancock because they were on sale (sulky rayon) but they are the small spools. I'm wanting to stock up on more colors of the larger spools, but just can't imagine spending $5 a spool! Are there any good places online that have better prices?
My other "baby"...
LTB Web Design and Hosting
Old 03-04-2009
Hopeless Embroidery Addict

Hi Julie
I just bought Madeira Thread cones from someone on Ebay, all different pinks for $20 dollars that included shipping and I think there is about 15 different cones. Most were new, if you aren't looking for something like that I would just do a search on the net.
Jen
Old 03-13-2009
Embroidery Addict

Try the website www.5ts.com. They sell the large spools (1100 yds) of Madeira thread starting at $2.75/spool. The price goes down depending on how many spools you buy.
Old 03-13-2009
Embroidery Addict

I really like Isacord thread. It is color fast - any thread that is rayon is not color fast.
Old 06-16-2009
Embroidery Addict

I buy thread when it is 50% off at JoAnns. They have it on sale frequently. One of the things that I try to remember is that rayon threads can fade and the 100% polyester threads hold their color better.
Old 06-17-2009
Embroidery Addict

Default threads

good morning ladies as it is down under thurs/11:16am.went to our quilt &graft show on sunday wow the embroidery [machine] was wonderful
but could'nt take any photo's which was disapointing. But found a new thread called GEM,collection. have u ever heard of it, 3000mts, $5 aus.polyester,keep a little diary on names of threads so many too choose from
maderia is our exp one. so i use it on spec things and rem,poly threads stretches rayon threads snap. colors do fade in sunlight so try to keep in boxes whennot in use,
have a great day when gran child says when u was a litle girldid you cotton, I reply I am still a little girl only an antique little girl lol she looked at me is that why your hair is white,
janyse.
Old 07-03-2009

A few days ago, I got my first small shipment from Metro thread. Wanted to try it as I was a die-hard Marathon fan. Metro is 75 cents (yes cents) for a 1100 yard spool and I love it. Works great. Lots of colors and shipping is good price.

PS - JUST LOOKED AT THE SITE AND THE THREAD IS ONE SALE FOR 59 CENTS A SPOOL plus shipping!!!
Old 08-04-2009
Recovering Embroidery Addict

Hi ,This is good embroidery thread from Metro . They had a really good sale so i bought all the colors.
Sometimes you can get it for 59 cents each. Go to the site and get on their mailing list.
I have also used Coats & Clark thread I get that at Joann's . I wait until they have sales so now i have a pretty good stash of thread .
Kathy
Old 08-04-2009
Embroidery Addict

Default Best Place to Buy Thread

So I am a die-hard SULKY fan. I just placed an order for some Metro Thread and I am praying my machines like it. At .75 a spool, how can you beat that. I am now living in Hawaii and there is no Joanns or Hancocks here to be able to buy thread from when it goes 50% off! Oh and did I mention there is 1 place to have my machines services here on the island and it is $250.00 per machine. YIKESSSSS

Misty
Old 08-04-2009

I was an absolute Marathon advocate, but I tried Metro. I got my first shipment a couple of weeks ago and have been using it. It was so cheap, I gave it a shot. Love it, love it, love it. I have to use it on a thread stand because the base is pretty large, but I used a thread stand anyway, so it was no big deal.
Old 08-05-2009
Super Moderator

I have a few different types I use but for the most part I love Robison Anton. My favorite for the neon colors is Madeira Threads though.

In one of the yahoo groups I belong to one member said she swears by Kingstar for their metallics and other types of thread from Kingstar. The one who mentioned it said she never has to do anything to help her machine stitch with that brand. The owner of the group tried it because her machine did not like metallic and she's been singing the praises of that thread ever since. You can find that here If you have problems running metallic thread in your machine, you may want to try that brand to see how it runs on your machine. Their customer service is great and they were nice enough to send me a spool to try at no charge.

Sadly, I have to say that my opinion differs greatly from all those who have tried it from that same group. I am VERY happy I did not buy a lot of that thread because I do NOT like it at all. My machine rarely has problems with metallic thread, but that was cheaper and it's hard to locate Madeira near here any longer so I wanted to find a new brand. This one kept breaking in my machine no matter which way I had the spool and if it was covered by a thread net or not, horizontal or vertical. Nothing I tried worked with my machine. I had problems with that thread flying off the spool extremely fast, unwinding nicely but not when I wanted it to be coming off. LOL All the members who also tried it loved the Kingstar brand so I'm not sure if those who did try and had the same opinion as myself haven't posted or if I'm alone in my assessment of it. I will say however that there were enough that liked it that you should not rule that brand out just by my testing of it though since that would be unfair. Their prices are good but to be sure, I'd only buy one or two to see if it works well in your machine.

I know many of our machines can be tempermental with threads so my thoughts would be to only buy a couple colors of any new brand you want to try. You certainly don't want to spend $50 or more only to find your machine doesn't like stitching with that. It's no fun when you are using your machine if you have to babysit the thread to prevent breakage and problems.

I may have to try Marathon to see how that runs in my machine. I do love Robison Anton and I have stuck with that because it runs beautifully in my machine and I love the colors. I also try to buy that since it's from my dealer and every dollar I can spend there helps her sales which will hopefully keep my local dealer from having Viking shut her down for lack of sales. Of course, me saving money on what can be a very expensive hobby is important too.
Old 08-05-2009
Super Moderator

The website link I posted above also sells Poly-X threads and I have also read many good reviews about that thread brand as well. There are a number of people who said they use Robison Anton and the Poly-X appears to be very similar with many of them wondering if Poly-X might even be RA brand being sold as an off brand with generic pricing.
Old 09-15-2009
Embroidery Addict

Has anyone tried Metro thread? I am brand new to machine embroidery and would like to start purchasing some thread. The prices at Metro are aweome. I was hoping some here had an opinon about this thread. My machine is a Janome 350e.
thank you!
Old 09-15-2009

Smile threads

I buy thread at Joannes when it is 50 % off. I don't use anything but sulky.
I think for me it is the best but that is my opinon.

Stitchn-Jeans
Old 11-15-2009
Embroidery Addict

Default crafte182

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaBella View Post
Has anyone tried Metro thread? I am brand new to machine embroidery and would like to start purchasing some thread. The prices at Metro are aweome. I was hoping some here had an opinon about this thread. My machine is a Janome 350e.
thank you!
We are both using the same machine have lots of metro and love it and the price i use the large cones and gotten some veragated i think they are great. This is my second Janome the first was only 4x4 hoop. Doing this for over 2 yrs . got the giga hoop and cloth sitter. If I can answer any questions I would be more then happy..crafte182