Jone Hallmark
Simply Stitches
My Mind's Eye
DOWNLOAD CENTER
MESSAGE BOARD
GIFT CERTIFICATES
FREE DESIGNS
What to Expect When Making a Purchase

Welcome to the Embroidables message board.

You are currently viewing our website as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sewing and Embroidery (Questions and Answers) Have a question about a sewing or embroidery technique? This is the place to ask.

Old 06-28-2010
Hopeless Embroidery Addict

Default 4D Embroidery Software

I have just purchased the Pfaff Creative Vision, it came with complimentary "4D Embroidery". It does not have the editing portion of the software which is in 4D Embroidery Extra (I would have to purchase for $899).

I would like advice about whether to upgrade to 5D Embroidery Extra or to stay with what I have and purchase Embird or similar which would be much cheaper and use both. I already have a Font software and have no desire to make photo's into stitch or cross stitch.

I would be particularly interested to hear from people that are using 4D Embroidery Extra (Plus) about whether they are happy with it and if it does or doesn't meet your needs.

Lizanne
Old 06-28-2010
Super Moderator

I think it would be really hard for anyone to tell you about upgrading to 5D Extra Lizanne because that isn't set to release until August if I recall. I do have 4D Extra and love it. I'm not sure how comparible 5D Extra will be to 4D Extra as I haven't checked it out that well yet. I'm not sure if I'll be upgrading. I'm still a bit bitter they are already releasing another version when many of us just upgraded to 4D, 4D Extra, and/or 4D Pro less than 1 - 1 1/2 yrs ago ya know. That's a lot of money and we were pretty much forced to upgrade or get left in the dirt because they said they would stop supporting 3D not too long after the release.

I do really love 4D Extra but if you have the font software already and are interested in digitizing I think if it were me I'd stick with the 4D and buy Embird. (You aren't going to get photo stitch or cross stitch anyway unless you get the 4D or 5D Pro version. That's not part of Extra at all.) The 4D you got with the machine is good for getting the designs into your proper file format and moving them to your machine easily and the digitizing portion that comes with 4D Extra (and I assume 5D Extra as well possibly) is an auto digitizing program and is very limited. You'd be better off getting Embird and having the capability of doing manual digitizing since that's much better for you to learn how to digitize properly. The auto digitizing part of 4D Extra gives you no opportunity to do a lot with the design. And without the Pro version you can't even adjust the density or much of anything other than to resize and crop parts of the design in the other part of the 4D Extra software.

I'm not sure if that helped or not.
Old 06-28-2010
Super Moderator

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS on your new machine too. How fun.
Old 06-28-2010

Thanks Vicki,

Yes I know that 5D isn't available till August, but I don't want to do anything till then.

Your comments were just what I was after, and I don't think that I would buy 5D after hearing what you had to say, when Embird is so much cheaper. There seem to be a lot of Embird users here and I can' t recall hearing too many complaints from them. I'm not looking for much - I just want to be able to combine designs, change thread colours and add lettering mostly, so spending a fortune seems a bit extravagant and I would wind up with a lot of functions that I wouldn't usse.

Does anyone use 4D and love it??
Old 06-28-2010
Super Moderator

You're welcome. As I said, I do love 4D Extra myself but hubby and I both have researched and tested two other digitizing programs now and if money was not an issue we'd probably get Generations since the biggest selling point in that is that all future updates are free BUT, money IS an issue........unless we have a huge money tree bloom in our back yard. LOL Because that is an issue, when we do buy digitizing software(hubby is interested in learning himself) then it will be Embird. I would love to get the 4D Pro or 5D Pro but for that amount of money and the fact they keep releasing and forcing the payment of that much money to keep up with thier software each time vs. free upgrades/updates with Generations we switch to Generations for about the same amount of money.
Old 06-29-2010

Lizanne - I have the 4D Extra and like it as well. I've also used the digitizing that comes with it to do some simple things and it works fairly well. All in all I find it pretty simple to use. The one drawback is the price. I too bought the 3D and then upgraded to the 4D - I wanted to scream when I saw that a 5D was coming!

Vicki - I don't know anything about Generations. More info????
Old 06-29-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susank View Post
Vicki - I don't know anything about Generations. More info????

Susan ~ I honestly don't know much more than what we discusssed about Generations last December. That is in this thread where we discussed 4D Professional software

Did you see they are releasing another new machine too? The Ruby is the next big thing for Viking. It's comparible to the Diamond but will not take that huge hoop your Diamond can take. The big plus is the fact it will take an 8" hoop which is three inches wider than my D1 and the SE's. At least that's what the rumors are so far and that it will have a color screen and some other features the Diamond has that older machines don't. Some are saying this is the replacement for the SE that was discontinued earlier this year. I can't wait to see this one because I don't want or need the capabilities the Diamond has but would like a larger hoop than the limitations of the D1 with the 5" wide hoop. Of course, I can't afford any new machines but if I could, this sounds like a nice one so far from the rumors I've seen.

I just checked and reread that thread a little more and really I didn't say much more than here about Generations. Here is their site if you want to read more. http://www.generationsemb.com/
Old 06-29-2010

Thanks Vicki - I took a look at the website and the YouTube videos and it looks like it is fairly easy to use. I guess what I was wondering was whether there were other things you liked about it other than the price - i.e. has things Viking does not?

I did get an email just yesterday from Viking about the new machine although it did not say much. I actually wondered if it was a new TOL. Thanks for the additional info.
Old 06-29-2010
Super Moderator

I have never used Viking's manual digitizing and can only go by those comments I have seen which stated it was very complicated to use. Generations was fairly easy to learn but then again, we also were in an in person training class too so that helped. There were a few points that really stood out to us vs. the Viking software and it had nothing to do with the actual use of the software. The one thing I already mentioned and that's the free upgrades/updates once you purchase your software from Generations.

The second thing is that they also offer a "travel dongle" and once you purchase that you can legally use that software on a 2nd computer at the same time PLUS that purchase covers the loss of either dongle - the one you originally got with the software AND the travel dongle purchased from loss or any damage as long as you weren't negligent in the damage like smashing it with a hammer or something equally as stupid. LOL That alone puts Generations far above Viking since Viking charges for a damaged dongle and if you lose your dongle well, then Viking says oh too bad - buy another copy of our software. Generations replaces them as long as you spent the extra money for that travel dongle. It isn't exactly cheap to get their travel dongle but considering hubby and I both were looking to digitize that meant two computers were legally able to use the software at the same time ya know and at a cheaper price than purchasing two copies of the software.
Old 06-30-2010

Hmmmmm - an in person training class would be good. That was the one thing I wondered about was getting help. Right now my Viking tech person is great!